Nugola is a small village in the municipality of Collesalvetti, in the province of Livorno. It is known for being an important crossroads for hiking trails that extend into the territory of the Etruscan Coast.
The origin of the particular name of this village, which in the past varied between Nuvila, Nubila, Nebula or Nuvola, is to be found in its geographical position. In fact,Nugola rises on a gentle slope between the sea and the Livorno Mountains: here the hot and humid air coming from the sea met the hills behind Livorno. As the air was blocked off, it came into contact with the ground and, as it cooled, favoured the formation of clouds or mists, creating a white halo reminiscent of a cloud.
However, the history of this village has even more ancient roots, as its existence is attested in a notarial document as early as 910 AD. In the place of Villa Traxler, on the top of the hill known today as Nugola Vecchia, there was once a small settlement, around a castle, and three churches.
In the 15th century, following the bloody wars between Florence and Pisa, the whole area was abandoned until the arrival of the Medici family in the middle of the 15th century, who also reclaimed some marshy lands. In 1503 the village of Nugola was mentioned on the “Carta della Toscana Marittima” drawn by Leonardo Da Vinci. At the end of the 20th century, due to a strong demographic increase, the urban settlement was moved to Nugola Nuova, which is now the real centre of Nugola.
In Nugola you can visit the Church of Saints Costa and Damiano, located on a small hill, which is accessed via a staircase. The furnishings are 19th-century, but the church was built in the 17th century.
In September, it is worth making a trip to Nugola for the “Settembre Di…vino”, an annual event for lovers of wine and local products, but also a way to say goodbye to summer together.